When Randy “Macho Man” Savage first entered the WWF it wasn’t a cliché to say that he took the federation by storm. He had uncontrollable intensity, a flashy look, a gravelly voice, lightning speed and a unique move set that made Savage completely unique for the WWF in 1985. Throw in a doe eyed ingénue and you had a recipe for success that was surpassed by few.
From 1985 to 1992, Savage was one of the WWF’s most valuable commodities, always on the top of card and quite often putting on one of the best matches of the evening. When Savage departed to WCW, he remained a key figure there and was a huge part of their ascent to the top of the wrestling world in the late 90’s. Always a fascinating figure, he leaves behind a legacy of great matches and strange behavior and a touch of controversy everywhere he went. Why he is seemingly exiled from Stamford has been up for debate for years, but his contributions to the wrestling community are certainly unquestionable. Sadly, with his recent passing, The Macho Man will never see the induction that he so richly deserved...should it ever come at all.
The Bullet Points:
Randy Poffo (Real Name)
The Macho King
U.S.A. (Sarasota, FL)
Key Championships Held:
AWA Southern Heavyweight (2)
CWA International Heavyweight
NWA Gulf Coast Tag Team w/Lanny Poffo
NWA Mid America Heavyweight (3)
WWC North American Heavyweight
WWF World Heavyweight (2)
WCW World Heavyweight (4)
Why He Will Get In:
He is a true legendary figure with a larger than life persona. His place in wrestling history is unquestionable
Why He Won’t Get In:
If the rumors are true that he deflowered a teenage Stephanie McMahon, it explains the perceived grudge that Vince has against him.
Five Greatest Matches/Moments: (In Chronological Order)
1. Match of the year against Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania III (3/29/87)
2. Winning the WWF World Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania IV in a fourteen man elimination tournament (3/27/88)
3. Match made in Heaven; Wedding to Elizabeth that actually headlined a PPV (8/26/91)
4. Winning the WWF World Heavyweight Championship a second time against Ric Flair at Wrestlemania XIII (4/5/92)
5. Stellar series of matches against Diamond Dallas Page in WCW that cemented the latter as a star (1997)