If you are a regular visitor at Notinhalloffame.com, you know that we created the Notinhalloffame NBA Cup, where in every regular season game, we award points (5-4-3-2-1) to the top five performers. This is the third year that we have done this, and Denver’s Nikola Jokic won the first two.
To keep everyone regularly in the loop this time, we have decided to give regular updates, starting at when the first player cracked 90 Points, and tell all of you the top ten. We will this going forward with every update as the first player breaches the elevated ten-point threshold afterward.
Here is the current top ten, based on the first player to breach 90 Notinhalloffame Cup Points:
1. Luka Doncic, Dallas Mavericks, 92 Points: 21 Games, 33.4 PPG, 8.6 RPG, 8.6 APG, 1.9 SPG, 0.6 BPG, 31.3 PER, 4.2 WS. (#3 on last ranking)
Is this the year that Doncic becomes the MVP? If so, this will make the fifth year that a non-American wins the prize. At present, he is the current scoring leader, and is also topping the stat line in PER, Win Shares and VORP (2.6).
2. Kevin Durant, Brooklyn Nets, 91 Points: 24 Games, 29.9 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 5.4 APG, 0.7 SPG, 1.8 BPG, 26.7 PER, 4.0 WS. (#1 on last ranking)
Durant might play for the most dysfunctional team in the NBA, but the Nets struggles cannot be pinned on KD, who has been electric this year. He is currently leading the league in Points (716) and Field Goals (252).
3. Steph Curry, Golden State Warriors, 90 Points: 22 Games, 30.8 PPG, 6.7 RPG, 7.1 APG, 1.0 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 27.5 PER, 3.9 WS. (#2 on last ranking)
The Warriors have disappointed this year, and are clearly aging, but that is not the case for Curry, who is leading the NBA in Win Shares, Offensive Box Plus/Minus (9.2) and Three-Point Field Goals (115).
4 (Tie). Jayson Tatum, Boston Celtics, 82 Points: 22 Games, 30.8 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 4.4 APG, 0.9 SPG, 1.1 BPG, 26.1 PER, 3.6 WS. (#4 on last ranking)
Tatum continues to get better which should scare the hell out of anybody cheering against the Celtics. He has never finished a season averaging over 30 Points per Game, but he is currently over that now.
4 (Tie). Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Oklahoma City Thunder, 82 Points: 21 Games, 31.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 6.0 APG, 1.8 SPG, 1.2 BPG, 28.1 PER, 3.5 WS. (#4 on last ranking)
Gilgeous-Alexander is going to be an All-Star this year, and is shattering last year’s averages, which were already good.
6. Devin Booker, Phoenix Suns, 78 Points: 22 Games, 29.5 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 5.9 APG, 1.1 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 24.5 PER, 3.5 WS. (#8 on last ranking)
Booker is on pace to have the highest PPG and PER of his career.
7. Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks, 77 Points: 18 Games, 31.8 PPG, 11.2 RPG, 5.4 APG, 0.9 SPG, 1.2 BPG, 29.3 PER, 2.6 WS. (#7 on last ranking)
The two-time MVP missed a few Games, which dropped Antetokounmpo in the standings, but the Bucks are considered the top contenders to win it all this year.
8. Ja Morant, Memphis Grizzlies, 75 Points: 19 Games, 28.2 PPG, 6.4 RPG, 7.3 APG, 1.1 SPG, 1.2 BPG, 25.7 PER, 2.0 WS. (#6 on last ranking)
Morant is the face of the Grizzles, and he is posting similar numbers from last year, when he took Memphis to the next level.
9 (Tie). Anthony Davis, Los Angeles Lakers, 73 Points: 19 Games, 27.2 PPG, 12.6 RPG, 2.7 APG, 1.4 SPG, 2.4 BPG, 30.6 PER, 3.8 WS. (#9 on last ranking)
Davis has been on fire lately, though the same can’t be said about the rest of his team. He is currently the league leader in Rebounds per Game.
10. (Tie). Jaylen Brown, Boston Celtics, 72 Points: 21 Games, 26.6 PPG, 6.9 RPG, 3.5 APG, 1.0 SPG, 0.3 BPG, 20.0 PER, 1.7 WS. (not on the top ten in the last ranking)
Brown’s appearance here gives Boston the only team to have two players in the top ten, and he currently has the highest traditional numbers of his career.
10. (Tie). Donovan Mitchell, Cleveland Cavaliers, 72 Points: 21 Games, 28.7 PPG, 3.9 RPG, 4.9 APG, 1.2 SPG, 0.5 BPG, 24.3 PER, 3.5 WS. (#9 on last ranking)
Mitchell’s numbers in his first year in Cleveland are higher than his last year in Utah, and it is reflecting in the Cavaliers overall performance.
Our next update will happen after the first player breaches 100 Cup Points.